MANITO LODGE #246 F.& A.M.
2715 SOUTH GRAND BOULEVARD
SPOKANE WA 99203-2525
Next Stated Meeting - Monday, January 14th
Dinner 6:00 PM – Meeting @ 7:30 PM
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2019!
It’s hard to believe it’s already the end of one year and the starting of a new one with its challenges and opportunities. I hope 2018 was good to all and wishing you the best for 2019. We’re starting this year’s lodge work by continuing one of Manito’s traditions, that of honoring our Past Masters. The Stated Meeting January 14th is declared “Past Masters Night”. All PMs will be recognized and thanked for their service to Manito. A number of them have agreed to fill the chairs for this occasion, starting with the junior PM Bret Westerman in the East. Other stations and places to be filled by other PMs in descending order of their service dates, depending on their availability.
One of the main items of business for this meeting will be the second review and voting on the proposed changes to our By-Laws and Standing Resolutions. The first reading and discussion was done at our December meeting and copies have been sent out to all members. Now at our January meeting will be the second review, discussion and vote by the membership. A 2/3 majority of the members present is needed for passage. Your attendance at this January 14th Stated Meeting is especially requested. Dinner at 6 pm, education program at 6:30 pm and Stated Meeting at 7:30 pm.
Please do not forget to call or email your dinner reservations to Worshipful Brother Roger Nelson by 5pm, Thursday, January 10th. His email and phone number are: firstname.lastname@example.org 509-869-7803.
Past Masters Night Oyster Stew
This is the original and traditional oyster stew recipe from Brothers Al Krafft and Oli Forrester who were the first
cooks who prepared the stew at Manito in the early ‘70’s and then by WB Jim Benthin for the past 20 or so years.
· 320 oz (2 ½ gal.) of small oysters.
· 160 oz of Half and Half cream (5 quarts)
· 128 oz of whole milk (1 gallon)
· 8 oz (1/2 lb.)of butter
· 1 ¼ tsp. of salt
· 1 ¼ tsp of white pepper
· 10 salad onions (green & white)
· 1 tsp of cayenne
· ¼ cup of onion flakes
· 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
· 3 good shakes of Tabasco
· 1 to 1 ½ cups of chopped celery
· Put milk and half and half in a BIG pot and begin to heat slowly
· Cut onions and celery in small pieces and sweat in some butter, add to pot along with rest of butter
· Cut small oysters in 1/3rds. Strain liquor and discard
· Add cayenne pepper/salt/white pepper/onion flakes/thyme to pot
· Thicken stew with a rue of melted butter and flour mixed and add to pot for the desired consistency
· Add oysters and heat but do not boil